Day 24: Inspired by a Book

7:45 PM Laura 17 Comments

Today's challenge is probably my favorite thing that I've done so far. It wasn't hard to pick what I was going to do; I looked over my bookshelf and instantly  knew which book would lend itself to greatness: Alice in Wonderland.


I adore this book. It's just so quirky and weird and I love it. I was a little disappointed in the Tim Burton movie. I really wanted it to be amazing, and the graphics and creepiness were definitely spot on but there wasn't a lot of connection with the characters. Oh well. Anyway, this is what I did:

I'll take you through it step-by-step

This is my left hand. From thumb to pinky: Sally Hansen Insta-Dri Blue Away, American Apparel African Violet, OPI Mermaid's Tears, Sally Hansen Insta-Dri Whirlwind White, Wet n Wild Black Creme

And my right hand, which is all Sally Hansen Insta-Dri Whirlwind White

(I did all of this using a small paintbrush)

The thumb was inspired by the hookah-smoking caterpillar.


I started with the mushroom stem in Sally Hansen Insta-Dri Whirlwind White

Then I gave it a cap with OPI Cajun Shrimp

I added some polka dots with Sally Hansen Insta-Dri Whirlwind White

And I made the caterpillar with Zoya Yara

The index finger was a teacup, in honor of the mad tea party.


I drew the outline of the teacup in Sally Hansen Whirlwind White

I filled in the cup with American Apparel Peacock and the dish with Sally Hansen Insta-Dri Blue Away

Buuut I decided Peacock was too dark so I did OPI Mermaid's Tears instead

My middle finger was inspired by the Eat Me cookies that Alice encounters.
I couldn't find an old-fashioned drawing of the cookies, so I found a drink me picture instead.

I made little blobby circles with Zoya Minka

Then I wrote Eat Me with a black, fine-tipped Sharpie 

Apparently I forgot to take a picture after I dotted the cookies, but I used Wet n Wild Black Creme for that.

My ring finger features a pocket watch, because of the white rabbit who was late for a very important date.


I did the outline and chain of the watch with Milani Gold Lamé 

And I did the black details with my trusty fine-tipped Sharpie

And then my pinky, which was of course inspired by the disappearing Cheshire cat.


I did his mouth and eyes in Sally Hansen Insta-Dri Whirlwind White

And then added in the black parts with Wet n Wild Black Creme 

So that was my right hand. On my left hand, I did all the card suits because of the playing cards who tend to the Red Queen's garden.


I just did these the best I could using OPI Cajun Shrimp and Wet n Wild Black Creme. Sorry for the pre-cleanup pic.

Aaand here they are again! This was after a day of wear, sorry! 

As you can see, I added gold dots around the rim of the teacup and for some reason the Sharpie faded to blue.




So there you have it! I am very happy with how this turned out and yes, I actually wore this in public. I wasn't going to waste this on myself! It got tons of compliments. I think I'm finally getting handy with some nail art!

Do you guys like this as much as I do?

17 comments:

  1. This is SO cool! I think my favorite is the "eat me" nail :D I was also disappointed in the Tim Burton movie. The White Queen annoyed me, with her floaty hands. I know that was the intended gimmick, but I just wanted her to put her hands DOWN like a normal person.

    Have you read "The Looking Glass Wars?" It's a different take on Alice in Wonderland. Not the best books ever, but still entertaining!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so creative! I also love Alice in Wonderland and this manicure was fabulous! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic! Beautiful! Wonderful! Great job! Love it! When I do something complicated like this and wear it in public, I do the same thing by picking something simpler to do with my non-dom hand. ;)
    The topcoat makes the sharpie turn blue. If it bugs you and you wanna invest in the kiss nail art pens, they stay true to the color and work same way as a sharpie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so awesome! You did such a great job. I especially love the pocket watch. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did an amazing job! These nails scream Alice In Wonderland!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is really amazing! I can only imagine how long this took to do! This really is great you should be proud of yourself! Plus you're almost at 200 followers! Woohoo! My fave book is the phantom tollbooth by Norman juster. Check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Larie: Actually, I have read them! I really liked them, I thought they were an interesting take on the story. But I pretty much love anything Wonderland-themed. :)

    @The Lacquered Lady: Aw, shucks!

    @Leslie: Thank you! It didn't bother me that much, and it's way easier to use than striper-pens! But I might check out the nail art pens too.

    @Sandra: I think it might be my favorite too.

    @Fingers: It did take a while! And I think it's the best nail art I've done to date so I'm very proud! I think I've heard of that book, I'll look it up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are beyond amazing! I love all the images that you chose. I have actually never read this book, but I love the Disney movie :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so cute! And I think my favorite of all the designs you've done so far. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW you did an amazing job with the nail art :) love love love this mani!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wowowow awesome!!! Oh and caterpillar all the way, he was the coolest!

    I wish I had seen it! :o AMAZING!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I actually really liked that Disney and TB decided to do the movie the way they did. No one has really brought focus to the rest of the series. I didn't like Alice though. YUCK. Your mani is great :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. check out your art skills, looks fantastic I love the whole mani but my fav is the cat looks so cool, and thanks for the tutorial on them it's helpful.

    ReplyDelete

Yay comments! Whenever you leave a comment, a triple rainbow happens.

**I don't like having to say this, but I must: Do not link drop! I don't care if you tell me you want to send me a million dollars, if you leave a link in your comment, I'm deleting it. I work hard for any and all traffic I get, and stealing it is a major no-no! Follow blogging etiquette, please.**